What are Bathroom Grab Bars and why are they important for a handicap Bathroom
Posted onMay 13, 2019|Comments Off on What are Bathroom Grab Bars and why are they important for a handicap Bathroom
Understanding What Bathroom Grab Bars are and Their Importance
A bathroom, according to worldwide research, is one of the most dangerous places inside a house. With wet and slippery surfaces, the bathroom has proved to be quite a tricky place where one can easily fall causing injuries. These injuries vary from minor ones such as bruises to severe ones such as head concussions, hip fractures, and broken bones. According to reports from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, millions of cases that are reported annually about falls usually occur in the bathroom. According to their reports, people most affected by the risks posed in the bathrooms include those with a disability, the elderly and women.
Therefore, it has become very critical to install bathroom grab bars in as most bathrooms as possible. These are devices installed in bathroom areas for the purpose of aiding the user to keep balance on the wet and slippery bathroom floors and helps to prevent falls. They are helpful in ensuring that the bathroom becomes a safer place for people of all ages and gender. So, let’s have a look at the advantages of using grab bars, why they are important to handicapped bathrooms, and the various types that exist.
Advantages of Using Bathroom Grab Bars
• Maintain Balance and support
Grab bars help to give people stability and maintain balance while using the toilet or when showering. Due to the wetness and the slippery floor, the grab bar is a good way to support yourself while in there. Therefore, you don’t have to worry so much about falling or slipping and sustaining injuries.
Grab bars help to ease movement around the bathroom and increases accessibility to all individuals especially the elderly and those with disabilities.
• Prevents falls and injuries
These Grab bars reduce the likelihood of falls in around the bathrooms hence reducing the risk of sustaining any mild or severe injuries.
• Increases confidence while using the bathroom or toilet
When some stands in a bathroom for a long time they can become tired and fall easily due to fatigue. Therefore, the grab bars are usually put in place to ensure that you do not experience much fatigue while in a standing position.
Why Grab Bars Are Important For a Handicap Bathroom
• They provide the right amount of support for the disabled persons to lift themselves before and after using the toilet or the bathroom.
• They help provide stability for those persons with mobility problems or disabilities.
• With the wet and slippery surface, disabled persons really need these grab bars to ensure their safety at all times from any type of falls or slips.
• They also allow most of the disabled persons to use the bathtub or the toilet by themselves without the need from outside help. It is not every day that a disabled person will need or get help when going to the bathroom, hence these grab bars can prove to be quite useful.
• They increase accessibility for the disabled persons around the bathroom, hence reducing the risk of falling or slipping from the toilet or when going to the bathtub. With the grab bars, it becomes easy to move from one point to another in the bathroom.
However, there are also plenty of other types of grab bars which can be placed in the bathroom during a bathroom remodeling job depending on the needs and preferences of the user. Some of the top choices include:
• Straight bathroom grab bars • Floor to ceiling grab bars • Wave-style grab bars • Clamp-on tub rail • Slide Bar Grab Bar with Handheld Showerhead • Suction cup bars • Angled Grab Bars • Flip Up and Flip Down Grab Bars • No drill grab bars • Grab Bar Toilet Paper Holder and grab bar towel rack • Corner Grab Bars for Two Walls
However, for a handicap bathroom, some types of grab bars are recommended, for instance, the corner grab bars for two walls which are helpful when sitting on a shower chair or in the tub. Therefore, these handicap bathrooms, the type of bars to use should be put into serious consideration.
Factor to Consider When Choosing a Grab Bar
Some factors are very important while selecting a bathroom grab bar for a private or public bathroom. They include:
• Ability to hold a maximum weight
The best grab bar should be able to withstand weights up to 250 pounds. Before purchasing one, always check the weight limit of these bars.
Choose a grab bar that is made of the strongest material possible which can support heavy weight without breaking. Avoid plastic ones at all costs. Also, choose one made from a material that does not corrode.
• Adjustable handles
These allow a person to move freely around the bathroom and access everywhere with ease especially those with disabilities.
Most bars are inexpensive hence there’s no need to stay without one in your bathroom. Some bars, however, need professionals to install them, which can be expensive, while others you can install them by yourself.
American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Guidelines
It has become mandatory that all the bathroom grab bars manufactured to be ADA compliant so that they can adequately accommodate all persons living disabilities. Some of the ADA guidelines include:
• Grab bars should have a diameter of between 32 to 38 mm and with a shape that provides a good gripping surface.
• Grab bars should be fitted properly in that they do not rotate. They should be mounted to studs and fasteners.
• Grab bars should be able to withstand more than 250 pounds of weight pressure.
• It is a requirement that there be a 38 mm clearance from the bathroom or toilet walls.
• The grab bars should be mounted between 33 to 36 inches above the bathroom floor.
• A side grab bar should be at least 42 inches long and mounted a maximum of 12 inches from the back wall. Rear grabs bars, meanwhile, should be at least 36 inches long and mounted at least 6 inches from the side of the wall. This is required especially for all public toilets fitted with grab bars and handicap bathrooms.
Therefore, as evidently seen above, it is important to be aware of bathroom safety and what you can do to prevent risks of falling and getting injuries. Handicap bathrooms must be handled professionally and with special care when it comes to installing grab bars. When these safety measures are met, then there would be no reason to worry about any risks.